Thursday, June 5, 2008

Tubular Trash Eaters




One of our future plans is to have a compost bin for our yard and kitchen waste. Jaime is ok with this as long as it doesnt look "trashy". I plan on making one out of wood and chicken wire and it looks pretty good. Ive had the plans for it laying around since the 80s. We are packing and planning to move soon, so putting one here is out of the question. Ive seen some very nice premade plastic compost bins, and even have a link to a great one on this site, but we have no budget for such things right now. So I decided to start small scale and let worms help me compost our kitchen trash. Its killing me to put scraps into the garbage disposal when we can put them to work for us.I cut some ventilation holes in a tote I had laying around. I also cut a few holes in the bottom for drainage.Ive read where you can use torn up newspaper for bedding, but decided to use some good potting soil for the worms and bury the food on one side at a time so I can just harvest the castings along with the soil when needed. Purchasing worms at $25.00 a lb is also out of the question, so Ive been collecting worms at the house where Im helping with landscaping. I have the bin in the shade because worms like cool temps. They like the soil damp but not soaking wet.There is no odor and the worms seem pretty content for now. Hopefully Jaime will be ok with using worm poop in our garden.

2 comments:

Sukeroku said...

Cool, glad to see people using organic ways to rid themselves of trash.

dragonfly said...

My sister the hippie,I personally know you did the disco scene back in the day...lol Anyway kudos on the blog, love the details.
Thought: to lessen the impact of our carbon footprints perhaps we should invest in good pair of shoes, then we can walk instead of drive, take the stairs instead of the "vator", actually "run to the store" and double impact is we do not use ga$$$$..we have to figure out how to stop the rape of our nation from OPEC....dragonfly